Sunday, May 19, 2013

NYU Student Show, NY Game Makers, and Burning Out..............

This week has been quiet. On Thurs (5/16), the NYU Game Center held a student show to celebrate the games made by their first class of MFA students. I stopped by for a bit, chatted with some people, and played a few games.

Yesterday, like every Sat, I went to the NY Game Makers meetup. We learned a little more about coding and Typescript. I spent the remaining time playing around with GameMaker.

We wound up not submitting anything to the Games For Change game design contest. It was just too much to do in too short a time. More importantly, the more I thought about our idea, the more fun it would be to make a game for adults as opposed to teens. So, the plan now is to stick to the general idea (a slot machine game), but make it more ridiculous than we would have otherwise. Looking forward to that!

One very important thing that has been happening is... I'm feeling burnt out. I've had an awesome time and I've met a lot of amazing people. It's been great fun! But things are starting to wear on me. It's particularly tiring meeting a lot of new people in a very short period of time. I knew this would happen eventually, especially when I was attending 1-2 events a week (!!). The good news is that I feel I have a good sense of the game dev scene in NY -- what's going on, who's who, and where's what. From here on, I'm going to be more discerning about the events I'll attend. My plan is to focus more on making my own stuff. That's been the scary leap that I have yet to fully dive into.

There are still a few big things that I'm looking forward to. I'm volunteering for the Games For Change Festival in mid-June. Also starting in mid-June is a programming class for ladies which will be taught by Phoenix Perry.

Wish me luck on my adventures! There are still many to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment