Tuesday, May 7, 2013

NY Game Makers, WIDGET, To the Moon

Since I just posted not too long ago, I don't have a whole lot to share. This past Sat I went to the New York Game Makers meetup led by Jesse Freeman. Had loads of fun planning a game for the Games For Change game design contest. We only have two weeks to complete a prototype (!!), so we tried to keep the idea simple and doable in GameMaker. Sadly, I've been swamped with random things here and there, so I haven't been able to work on that as much as I'd like.

One of the things that swamped me is writing a post for WIDGET, a new tech blog about women in development. I shared my experience about getting over feeling embarrassed of my love for otome games, i.e. games targeted for girls and women, typically with romantic plots. Will post here when that goes live.

I forgot to mention that I started playing Freebird Games' To the Moon, a puzzle game with an emphasis on narrative. The music is beautiful and it's one of the better made RPG Maker games. As a puzzle lover, I actually wish the puzzles were more complex. Most can be completed in 3-5 moves.

That's it for now. The plan for this week is to essentially make a game in GameMaker. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment