Saturday, May 25, 2013

Elation

This isn't related to games or writing, but it's something that's so important to me that I'm compelled to share on here anyway. My graduation was today. Even though I finished my degree in December, it was a lot of fun celebrating my accomplishment with my family! I had such an amazingly awesome time~ and yes, this includes sitting through the boring speeches and waiting for each doctoral student to get up on stage. Besides, it's not every day that you get to wear robes like you're in Harry Potter.

The day started off with my departmental convocation. After that, we went to lunch at one of my favorite pho places. A few stores down from the pho restaurant was a used game shop called Gamer Doc where I randomly picked up a copy of Resident Evil 4. (My sis-in-law says the store name is a sign! XD) Then we headed to the doctoral hooding ceremony -- an event specifically for all doctoral graduates.

It was tiring and cold and kinda hectic and very cold. But throughout the whole thing, I just kept thinking to myself... I did it. I made one of my dreams happen. Through sheer will and perseverance and hard work and lots and lots of blood, sweat, and many many tears...  I turned a pipe dream into a reality.

A reporter for UDaily approached me and asked me some questions for the school newspaper. She asked how I was feeling. And the first word that came to my mind...

Elation.

And disbelief.

Because even when I was close to finishing, even when I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, I still doubted I could make it.

But I did.

All this to say... I've completed one dream.

Now, I will complete another.

1 comment: