Monday, December 31, 2012

Thank you, 2012!!

2012 has been filled with a lot of amazing things. I learned many new things (e.g. parkour, archery, ballet, Adobe Illustrator) and learned more about some old things (e.g. knitting, writing, cycling, rock climbing, running). I submitted my first sole author linguistics paper. I successfully defended my dissertation. I became a doctor (but no, not that kind). I received a Fulbright grant. I turned down a Fulbright grant.

My biggest achievement, however, has been admitting to myself and to others this dream of making my own otome games. It's taken a long time for the dream to become tangible enough for me to even say out loud. I'm proud to have come this far. There's a lot of uncertainty in diving in headfirst into an industry I know nothing about. But, to quote short story author Molly McCaffrey, "And don’t even think about failing. Because at the end of life, no one says, 'Wow, I wish I hadn’t gone after my dreams so hard.'"

So thank you, 2012. Before February, I was so lost and scared about my future. But you encouraged me along the way with each new accomplishment, big and small. I will miss you, but you showed me that 2013 can be just as amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment