Monday, December 24, 2012

Dreams & Getting Older

I've been brainstorming on and off all day for a simple idea to make a dating sim more interesting than the typical stat building model. It's made me reevaluate the kinds of games I wanna make and, more generally, what I ultimately want to do with myself in the game industry. I'm proud that within the span of ten months (i.e. when I decided that I want to go into game development), I've come to a place in which I can confidently pinpoint that I want to make otome games.

This is in stark contrast with my exploration of linguistics. In undergrad, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be a syntactician, phonologist, or sociolinguist. It wasn't until a semester into grad school that I realized what I really wanted to do was syntax. I think my recent decisiveness is something that's come with age and experience. I know myself a lot better than I did then and I'm willing to acknowledge what I like/dislike right away. In other words, I can spend less time finding my dreams and more time chasing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment