Sunday, December 23, 2012

Color Palettes in Games

It's taken me years to realize that I'm a very visual person. This is particularly strange because I've always loved drawing and art. I also have A LOT of opinions on anything related to the visual arts. (But that's neither here, there, nor anywhere.) When it comes to games, the artistic style is a huge deciding factor in whether or not I'll pick up the game. This in itself doesn't seem that strange; I think many people feel the same. More than the style though, I've also realized that particular color palettes appeal to me more than others. I tend to like palettes that are bright and colorful.

Case in point. I recently had a conversation with a friend about how Fallout New Vegas entices me so much more than Fallout 3, despite some reviews stating that it's basically more of the same (IGN's review of Fallout New Vegas). As you might guess, what draws me to New Vegas is the more varied color palette. The color palette in Fallout 3 features mostly browns and greys. I know it's a post-nuclear apocalyptic world. And certainly the browns and greys convey all the death, destruction, and mutation. In the end though, I found Fallout 3 incredibly depressing and drab. I didn't care to explore the world because everywhere looked the same. This is in stark contrast with a game like Skyrim, which I sunk many many hours into. The saddest thing about playing Skyrim is realizing that I can't ever actually go there. Maybe this means I should play Fallout 3 and be thankful that it doesn't exist...?

No comments:

Post a Comment