Thursday, August 22, 2013

Slow Week, Interview, My Industry?

I didn't realize until yesterday that I haven't updated in a while! Things have been much quieter lately, for better or worse.

Last Thursday, I helped out showing off Organic Panic at Sandbox Strategies, a video game PR/marketing firm. Admittedly, I had to force myself to mentally check in. Networking can already be tiring on its own. Schmoozing and trying to get press interested is a lot like that -- except more stressful. Higher stakes perhaps...? It's made me realize how much more comfortable I am meeting game devs. But! Growth occurs outside your comfort zone, right? As night went on, I felt better. In the end, I had fun.

In other news, I have a job interview this Friday (!). The waiting has made me anxious. Hopefully the next time I post, it will be about how awesome it went and how I have a lot of good feelings about it. I applied to this place a while back. Late May or early June. It's the last "loose end" after I decided I wouldn't apply to any other jobs. I turned down that QA Tester position in June to see where this path would lead. It was a gamble. Even if it doesn't pan out though, I don't have any regrets. Sometimes when one door closes, you're stuck for a period of time in which nothing else opens. The nice thing though is that while you're waiting, you have the freedom to knock on other doors. And you really never know who or what will answer.

A few days ago, it occurred to me that the game industry has become my industry. That was a strange thought. It still is a strange thought. Like working towards any dream, your mind can become so focused on your end goal that you can forget how far you've come.

Here's to hoping for a more interesting post next time! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment