Sunday, August 4, 2013

More Organic Panic, GoPrezzo, NO JOB SEARCH!!

The past two weeks have been generally good. There were a few plunges along the way, but overall I've been keeping afloat. Staying busy has helped. What's key though is that it hasn't been my own intent to consciously stay busy. That rarely ever works for me. Mostly, I've been helping Last Limb promote their Kickstarter for Organic Panic. Because it's time sensitive, I've had to force myself out of my mopey states.

The campaign ends this coming Thurs (!). We're currently at 62% from 744 backers. There's a lot to make up before we hit our goal, but we're doing what we can to spread the word. We've gotten some really good press including a preview in GameInformer, a shout out from Gamers Hell, and a blurb in Critical Indie Gamer. I'm still bothering media people, so the hope is that we'll get some more people to the page. Oh yeah! I almost forgot to mention that Last Limb presented again at the NYC Games Forum demo night on July 23rd. That was a really fun night. We hung out at O'Lunney's afterwards. This past Thurs, Aug 1st, was our preview party at Fontanas. It was a great success! We had a really good turn out which included a number of media people. Here's to hoping it leads to something that will give us the boost we need.

Admittedly, I've been stressed about the campaign. But it's the good kind of stress -- the I-need-to-get-my-butt-into-gear kind of stress. There's still a lot on my list of things to do: post to forums, follow up with media, upload our stuff onto sites with user content. Eeps! I also just started doing a little bit of social media yesterday. Actually, I had a bit of a rant about how our messaging needs to be more positive. In light of that, HERE'S COME POSITIVITY!!

I haven't been up to a whole lot else. My manager at GoPrezzo left the company. It was sudden (to me, at least), but I also wasn't very surprised since she's been working on her own startup for a while. Now I'm the only one who's based in NY! The good news is that GoPrezzo is expanding. I was told that there might be a more concrete position for me down the line. In her goodbye email to me, my manager said I "have a bright future ahead". :)

One thing I haven't mentioned yet is my decision to focus on my health. The job search has been a source of incredible stress, particularly when feelings of guilt, shame, uselessness, and all sorts of BAD came into play. So, I've made a conscious decision to put that on hold for the moment while my brain recoups from grad school and the like. Actually, this decision has made all the difference in my outlook and my mood. I thank one of my best friends for giving me what I've unknowingly been looking for: permission to not search for a job.

To wrap up, LET POSITIVITY WIN THE DAY (and the Kickstarter)!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chica,
    I'm so excited to hear all the things your up to! It sounds like you've found some projects you can really sink your teeth into and be passionate about. I totally support your choice RE job search. And I hope you can come back refreshed and reinvigorated. Your comments really resonated me because between ITA, the home purchase and umm other things... I haven't had a chance to apply for jobs either and the guilt was eating me up. But, like you, I've decided to give myself permission to hold off on it. At least until ITA is over and we're done with the house reno. Anyways, wanted to say hi. Miss you.
    M.E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh!! (For some strange reason, Blogger flagged this as spam, and I'm only just seeing it now.) But yeah, the guilt was/is awful. I felt so much better after making it a conscious decision instead of continuously pressuring myself and not doing it anyway. It was exhausting me doubly! I think it's turned out for the better...? Either way, my head is still all funny, and I really need/want to focus on changing that. Can't do that if the job search is derailing me. Haha!

      Delete