Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Community Management Calling...?

I mentioned last time that I've jumped on board Organic Panic's social media (e.g. Facebook and Twitter). We're in the last 28 hours of our Kickstarter campaign! Last night, we were all up until 4am (!) on Reddit. For a while I was live tweeting the thread. By 3am though, in anticipation of sleeping, I started scheduling today's Facebook posts.

It's been incredibly fun thinking of new posts and trying to find ways to keep people upbeat and engaged. I don't know what it is. Probably the human interaction...? I've always enjoyed the community management I've done for GoPrezzo too. It's strange to think that a job that never crossed my mind as something I'd want to do turns out to be fitting of my personality. I was reading a Gamasutra article on community management and the role of the community manager. It talked about traits of a community manager: "patience, empathy, self-confidence (but not too much), teamwork, management skills, humility, rigor, ability to listen, etc." I like to think those things describe me! :)

Like I said before, I used to think it was a nothing intern position that any college kid could do. In some ways, I would say that's still true. I wouldn't call it mentally taxing and it doesn't require any specific training. If anything, it's more emotionally taxing because you're trying to stay positive while dealing with negativity. But it's been so much fun. I'm not sure how else to phrase it, but in many ways it allows me to be myself. Or at least the self that I always want to be.

Funnily enough, just yesterday, I finally heard back from a company where I applied to be a community manager (!). I'm scheduling a phone interview with them for this coming Friday. Even the past few days doing community management for Organic Panic has given me loads of experience. Here's to hoping the Kickstarter is a success and everything else goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment