Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Games For Change Festival and More Anita Saarkesian Backlash

The 10th Games For Change Festival is next week. So volunteering duties have amped up a bit. I'm super excited about the event. There's going to be lots of famous keynote speakers and some really interesting games for change that I can't wait to play! Like all other volunteering jobs I've done before, the only sad part is that I can't actually go to everything without cloning myself.

E3 is going on this week. There's a lot of buzz about upcoming games, the next gen consoles, etc. What upset me today though is an article in The Daily Dot called Where Anita Sarkeesian goes, sexism follows -- even to E3. To summarize the post, Anita Sarkeesian tweeted about how none of the games revealed at the Xbox One E3 press conference featured a female protagonist... and the backlash, of course, was awful. I had to stop reading her Tumblr post which has screencaps of some of the comments thrown at her because it disgusted me so much. Sometimes I'm torn about reading these things. On the one hand, I want to stay in-the-know and be aware of the issues that are going on. On the other hand though, the degree of negativity (among other things) is simply toxic. I don't know how Anita Sarkeesian has the mental and emotional fortitude to deal with all of this.

To end on a happier note, I'm SO happy to see SO many women involved in the Games For Change Festival -- both on the organizing end and the participant/speaker end. Also on a happy note, Phoenix Perry's Code Liberation course to teach women how to program is coming up next week too. Lots to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment