Sunday, February 24, 2013

NY Game Makers and Shear Panic

I had an amazingly game-filled day today! This is evidenced by the fact that I got barely 3 hours of sleep and am still incredibly WIRED and STOKED. ;D

I attended the NY Game Makers meetup for the first time today. It's a series of workshops taught by Jesse Freeman that focuses on designing and making a game in a month. For the beginner workshop, we learned about sprites and I made my first one today with Aseprite! I'm very proud of how my Tardis came out, especially the first frame. Admittedly, the other frames could use some more work. But not bad for a first try! (The sprite is actually 16x16, but is blown up for blog purposes.)
If you're a doctor, why does your box say "police"?
For the advanced workshop, we played around with Impact's level editor. I made my very first level! As you can tell from the screencap below, it's very shitty and uninteresting. In my defense, I was running late for a party and just wanted to slap something together to see if it would work. For the record, it did!!
Just go straight and don't die!
It was all super fun!! I gained a lot of XP, if I do say so myself! ;)

After the meetup, I went to a board game party and played Shear Panic for the first time. It's a cute and quirky tile-based(-ish) game by MayFair that I really enjoyed, despite the confusing rules.
It's the wrong trousers, Gromit!
I'm a tad too exhausted to go into detail, but I'll leave it at... I wouldn't mind playing it again.

And so ends my game-filled day! I'm super excited about all that I'm learning! Oh~ and I can't believe I forgot. I've also been having fun working on GoPrezzo's Facebook and Pinterest sites! Yesterday I launched my very first giveaway where players can win a Rubik's Cube Alarm Clock.
I'm putting this here just because I still have the image on my desktop. 
Crossing my fingers that it will generate some traffic!

Okies! For real this time, that's all I have to say for now. My flight to Taiwan is on Monday, so it will be a less-game-filled two weeks until I come back. Although, the flight and trip will be a good time to catch up on some of the games I've been meaning to play. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment