Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Finally focusing on my own stuff!!

I’ve been making a lot of awesome milestones this year… and it’s only been two months! Even though I only report the good things, there have been some slumps here and there. The short of it is that I get into these depressive spells where I feel unaccomplished no matter how much I’ve done. It’s taken me some time to realize that these shitty feels are probably coming from my own lack of production. I talk about how I want to be a writer, but I don’t write nearly enough. Similarly, I talk about how I want to make my own games, but I have yet to do that. To that, I say NO MORE!

Two weeks ago, I got so incredibly sick of hearing myself complain that I resolved to write at least 100 words per day until infinity. My rules are that the writing can be either fiction or a blog post. Whichever it is though, it has to be my own thing. (i.e. Blog posts written for GoPrezzo do not count.) The whole point of keep the word count low is to shame myself into embarrassment if I can’t even find 15 mins to bang out 100 words. I’m proud to say that yesterday was the end of my second week! The lazy days have been under 200. The best day was a bit over 600. That’s 4,121 words I probably wouldn't have written otherwise. Quality is something else that’s left to be desired. In the end though, I’m writing and that’s what counts.

In similar vein, I just came up with an idea for a game! (Yes, while on the plane to Taiwan.) It’s nothing particularly novel, but I’ve been looking for a long time for an idea that’s small enough to complete on my own and that will help me get acquainted with the technical aspects of actually making a game. It’s a mesh of two of my favorite genres: puzzles and visual novels. Let’s see how this goes!

All that to say that, I’m happily still feeling very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment